Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas..something like that

Today all around the world people are gathering with their families and friends celebrating the holiday season or their respective holiday traditions.  As for me, this holiday season (starting at thanksgiving) has been one of solitude and introspection.  You see three months prior to this I ended my relationship with my fiance (after 5 years of being together) and a month after that I learned from a doctor that I may need a hysterectomy to prevent me from developing cancer in my uterus.  Needless to say that, the my holidays have been a little rocky and emotional, but despite it all I have found a reason to smile.

I was awaken this christmas morning with numerous texts wishing me a merry christmas and various greetings, but sadly and oddly enough no one asked me how I was doing since I was spending this holiday alone. My emotions have been on a roller coaster during this time, feelings of homesickness and just plain loneliness have permeated my days, but through it all I remember everything else I've been through, and  I realize that this too will pass.  I am reminded of those who are in far worse situations than I, and that spending the holidays alone need not be a burden, but is indeed a blessing.  It's a time for me to review and reflect on the year that is getting ready to end and the lessons that were imparted, and to really count my blessings.  Yeah I would have loved to see my nephews open their christmas presents and seeing my family again, but that wasn't afforded to me, so I have to be grateful for the opportunity of being able to talk to them via the telephone.  It sounds like they had a really good christmas, and I can only pray that they understand the love and the sacrifice behind each gift.

So my christmas is turning out to be merry after all, despite spending it alone.  But I'm not alone really, I have a storied past and great future to keep me company..and countless text messages and emails wishing me happy holidays.

1 comment:

  1. Peace,

    I'm so glad I discovered this blog. Peace to you....and I admire your strength.

    PEACE

    ReplyDelete